Welcome to the TGI Friday edition of #TwitLight and it’s participant @chrisbrownsell!
I first came across @chrisbrownsell a couple of months ago when I was looking for people in Reading. He plays a lot of Halo 3, is obsessed with Star Trek and is generally a geek all around!
In this TwitLight he talks about gaming, Firefly and asks an interesting question!
1. Where are you from?
Originally from a town called Blyth, just north of Newcastle Upon Tyne, but currently reside a few miles outside of Reading.
2. How old are you?
3. What do you do for a living?
Currently not much. I used to be a Software Tester for Electronic Arts back in the day though.
4. What does your alias/nickname mean and how did you come up with it?
It’s my name. My parents gave it to me, so I can’t really take credit for coming up with it. All I did was shorten it, and remove the space to create the alias. It’s not massively original, but it seems to suit me well enough.
5. What do you want to be when you grow up and has that changed at all since you were little?
Every kid wanted to be an astronaut surely? That would have been awesome. I do remember when I was younger I was massively into Dinosaurs (Dinosaurs are cool). After seeing Jurassic Park with my Dad all I wanted to do was be a palaeontologist. Quite advanced for a nine year old. I’m impressed that I could even say it properly. Sadly that didn’t happen.
Although I would still like to be an astronaut. NASA, if you’re reading this, come find me.
6. What song are you thinking about right now?
I’ve had The Staunton Lick by Lemon Jelly running through my head all day. A few friends were talking about Lemon Jelly earlier on another social networking site that shall remain nameless, and I remembered they had a tune in the last episode of Spaced, so I looked it up on Youtube and now it’s been running around my head all afternoon.
7. Do you have a Last.fm profile?
I do not, but I do have a Spotify account. Does that count?
8. What are you reading at the moment? [Book, magazine, website, Wikipedia article..]
Currently reading the novelisation of Metal Gear Solid by Raymond Benson. It’s not great so far, but it’s Metal Gear Solid, and I’m a sucker for anything Metal Gear. Hell, I bought my PS3 just for Metal Gear Solid 4. Now that is dedication.
9. Which video game are you playing these days and is it as good as you thought it would be? [provided you play video games that is!]
I’m playing through Fallout 3 again, mostly to pick up the achievements I missed during my first play through. It doesn’t have the same feeling of wonder that it did during my first playthrough, but I suppose that’s to be expected since I know what to do with the game now.
I’m also trying to play through Oblivion for the first time. I’m finding it hard to get into it properly, although I suspect that has to do with me playing Fallout 3 before Oblivion. To me it just feels like a gimped version Fallout 3 in a fantasy setting.
10. What is the weather like at the moment?
Sunny with some cloud. Fortunately it’s not too warm. I’m not a massive fan of the heat. I tend to get quite grumpy when I’m too hot.
11. What are your plans for the rest of the day?
I’ll probably end up playing some more Fallout and watching some more Deep Space Nine. Might even break out the Firefly Bluray. Nothing like a major geek-out when you have nothing to do.
12. If you could replace anyone in any TV show, who would you pick?
Probably James May. He may get some grief from Clarkson and Hammond on Top Gear for being Captain Slow, but he gets to do some seriously awesome stuff. A few weeks back there was a programme where he got to fly in a U2 spy plane, which can fly at altitudes of 70,000ft. That’s almost to the edge of space. That would be seriously cool.
13. If you had the chance to work on the Enterprise [Star Trek ship!], what job would you have?
Well, ideally it would be Captain. Failing that, Tactical Officer. Knowing my luck though, I’d end up being a TOS era Red Shirt and get killed by some silly looking alien on my first away mission.
Although, I have to ask, which Enterprise? There have been a few.
14. Seeing that I’m a grumpy person in the morning I’ve realised I can’t live with people that are overly happy as soon as they wake up. Would you be a good flatmate?
I’m fairly grumpy at the best of times, never mind first thing in the morning. So unless you could deal with mild grumpiness most of the time, I’d probably make a pretty poor flatmate. I do have an awesome collection of video games and a love for sci fi though, so that might count as a positive.
15. What is the best website you’ve come across recently?
Emails from an Asshole. Some of the stuff on there is pure comedic gold.
16. How long have you been on Twitter for and when did you realise you were sucked in by it?
Well, I’ve had my account since January this year, but didn’t really start using it until later in February. I’m not sure if I’m totally sucked in by it yet. If I haven’t got anything I want to say or moan about then I won’t say it. I don’t yet feel the need to tweet my every waking thought.
17. Settle this question for me: PC or Mac?
I like to play video games. So, PC. Not that I have anything against Apple though. I love my iPhone.
18. And another one: ice cream or cake?
Ice cream. But only if it’s Mint Choc Chip.
19. Fill this out however you want: “Today I am ____ and I ____, but ____, because ____.”
Today I am wandering the Capital Wasteland looking for new places to explore and I will probably spend hours doing just that, but I need to sort things out in the house, because I’m the only one in to do them.
20. What do you want everyone to know about you, who are you, what makes you tick? [aka describe yourself]
I’m not sure where to begin with this one. I guess one thing I could say about myself is that I’m really not very good at describing myself. (I think I dodged that one quite well don’t you?)
21. What is the last thing that you’ve felt proud about?
Getting 100% notes hit on Gimme Shelter on Expert difficulty Drums in Rock Band.
22. If I wanted to stalk you on the internet where would I have to go? Feel free to mention any of your sites/projects/accounts here:
I can be found on Twitter as @chrisbrownsell.
I also have a gaming blog. It hasn’t been updated for a little while, but I’m sure I’ll find something to write about soon.
And finally, I’m on the staff over at the Green Hill Zone forums. It’s quite a small gaming community that splintered off from another forum a few years back. Come and say hello.
23. Any more comments?
If a tree falls in the woods, and no one is around to hear it, do the other trees still point and laugh?
I think by the time the trees have realised what’s happened there will be people around to hear them. Plus I’m sure they’d be much more interested in talking about the consistency of squirrel droppings! Thanks for taking part, Chris!