A while back I’ve had a conversation on Twitter with @PCurd and @jamesbmarshall:
PCurd: @craigyd I bought Torchlight in it off your recommendation :) Also Kotor as I’ve lost my pc copy. #
carocat: @PCurd KotOR again?! Aren’t your saves on the Xbox though? #
PCurd: @carocat I have saves on 1.0, 360 and pc. Can never remember which is most advanced but I was playing on pc before I lost the disks. #
carocat: @PCurd That’s just insane. Question is just if you’ll ever finish it! #
PCurd: @carocat I think it’s unlikely. I don’t finish games, as a rule. #
jamesbmarshall: @PCurd @carocat One of the only games I’ve ever actually finished is Metroid II: Return of Samus. It took me about 2 years. :$ #
jamesbmarshall: @PCurd @carocat I’m amazed I completed Metroid tbh. Most games fizzle out about 3/4s of the way thru for me. They become ‘samey’. #
Surprised by their answers I thought I’d ask the rest of Twitter:
First up the answers I expected:
- Assassin10k: I would say at least 1000 or so.
- DjDATZ: Played too many of them. I’d reckon about 40-ish on the 360?
DjDATZ: I wouldn’t say much more than that… 50-60-ish? (includes the PS2 & PS1/X)
- citizensparks: I’ve finished every game I’ve ever owned (aka about 70) bar the metal gear solid games; I get to the last level and just fail them.
- Gazimoff: I used to be religious about finishing games, but now I have a stack that I’m waiting to get through!
Gazimoff: played to completion around 50 or so. Currently have about 30 on Wii, xbox and pc waiting for me to finish
Gazimoff: that’s old school though – mega drive/gameboy and old pc stuff
- Goon360: From start to finish, prolly around a thousand. I’ve been gaming since I was 5.
Goon360: On NES alone I owned about 200 games and finished a good chunk of them, and I’ve owned every console there is.
- JoeGizzle: Oof, that’s a tough one. I’ve played most consoles and handhelds starting with the NES, so I’m guessing a couple hundred?
- Mr_Marty: 100%’d, not many. But storyline completion is about 70% on my Xbox and PS3 games. =)
- olliboote: um 100% perhaps 1 maybe two, as for completing main story line (i pretty complete all games I play in that sense) so I’m saying 50.
- Phoenix8424: I think I’ve completed around a hundred, give or take. Since the very beginning!
- Peterocc: Between Odyssey, Intellivision II, NES/Super NES, Genesis, Sega CD, Xbox, PS1, PS2, Xbox 360 & PS3… I’d have to say over 100+.
Peterocc: On Xbox 360??? 10-12 since launch, only 1 GS/Achievement completed (XBL Arcade Game). PS3? 1 (Killzone 2)
- strayjohno: I’m actually quite good at cleaning up games. Apparently I have 7 with a full 360 GS, for instance. If I had to guess how many? ~30
strayjohno: Some of my proudest: Sonic & Knuckles, because it had no save points, and Baldur’s Gate II, because it took me bloody ages!
- spritesbites: Shit the bed! How the hell am I supposed to guess that? It must run into many hundreds.
- _Tugsy: Over one hundred I would say…
- Zyber: More than a hundred. Probly past 2 hundred realistically.
Followed by some answers that were different to what I expected:
- Esko: Have completed 15 titles for all of the achievements. Fallout 3 is probably the favorite that I have 100% on.
- GeminiAce: In my entire gaming “career”? I’m gonna say maybe 15 or 20.
- MacP_: About 10-15. The most memorable being all MGS series and GTA series.
- TimmyTenga: 10 maybe? Not very many considering how many games I’ve played.
TimmyTenga: Actually, that’s wrong. Probably more like 25.
And then the really surprising ones:
- cornellfinch: Three. All tony hawk’s skateboarding games on the PS2.
- Dreamsthedream: 3-4, with my lifestyle games generally don’t get finished due to lack of time lol
- FallingBullets: About 2 maybe, if I was allowed cheats.
- noirem: One: Final Fantasy 7. Even Portal I watched the end of on YouTube (’cause I couldn’t play anymore).
- PCurd*: Duck Tales, Fable, Halo, Halo2, Call of Juarez 2, COD, COD:BRO, HalfLife, Another Code. I think that’s it.
- sarahfenn: 3 games: Dizzy the Egg (speccy 128k), a racing game on the super nes, & Super Mario World.
- talldavek: If by completed you mean got to the end and beat the boss, 5 or 6. If you mean get *everything* in game 2.
*[Yes, I know he said earlier he doesn’t finish games as a rule, but who am I to judge his changes of mind?!]
Well, and then there was this reply!
- PMSHarlequin: I was going to respond to your question but got distracted by your super cute colorful fluffy wallpaper!
A few days ago I finally finished a book I spent months reading. I wasn’t enjoying it as much as I hoped I would, but I couldn’t just ignore it. Partially because I kept hoping for it to improve, but mostly because I need to finish books and dislike half finished stories. The same with TV shows, films and games.
I’ve played a lot of games in the past few years:
- There’s the long list of Xbox games out of which I’ve completed about a third.
- My favourite Xbox games which I’ve mostly completed at least twice in some shape or form with the exception of two.
- On the 360 I’ve completed about 40 games.
- And another 10 games on other platforms/PC.
Yet it never seems enough. My aim for 2008 was to finish a bunch of games and I didn’t get around enough of them to this day. Looking at my current games collection I count around 20 games that want to be completed which doesn’t even include Xbox Live Arcade games! And I’m pretty sure that I will complete them at some point even if that’s going to take me a few more years.